What To Do After an Uber Accident
There are few dangerous situations most people end up in on a daily basis, but a car accident can happen to anyone. It is important to know what to do in this situation in order to avoid harm. Then, once you have assured your safety, you should start to shift your attention to the legal matters. Things may be slightly more complicated if the accident involved an Uber driver. This guide will explain what to do if you are in an Uber accident.
What To Do Immediately
As far as the immediate response is concerned, you should follow the same steps regardless of whether it is an Uber accident or a regular car crash. Your top concern should always be ensuring your own safety, and this does not change whether you are a passenger in an Uber, or collided with an Uber vehicle. After the accident, follow these steps in order:
- Evaluate whether you are injured. If there is any indication that you may be injured, even a minor one, you should immediately call 911 and seek medical aid.
- If you are unharmed, evaluate whether anyone else involved in the accident is harmed. If so, call 911 immediately.
- If no one is harmed, check if any vehicles are blocking traffic. If so, evaluate whether they can be moved safely and quickly. Only try to move the vehicles if you think it can be done safely.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver and any witnesses.
- Take pictures of the accident, including any damage to either vehicle.
- If you estimate the damage is above $1,000 or the other driver is not behaving reasonably, call 911 so the police can file an accident report. Otherwise, report the accident within 24 hours.
- Call your insurance provider.
What To Do After the Accident
In the days following the accident, you should consider how you will receive compensation for the accident. Hopefully, your insurance provider will be able to handle the situation and communicate with the other driver’s insurance provider to determine fault. Sometimes, the insurance companies cannot come to an agreement and you will have the option to file a lawsuit. In most cases, the involvement of an Uber vehicle does not affect the lawsuit in any way, but some states have varying laws and regulations surrounding ride-sharing services. In any case, if it looks like things may end in a lawsuit, you should contact a car accident lawyer immediately. You can likely receive a free consultation.